Thursday, April 21, 2011

My, how fast the time flies!

As most people know, besides my day job, I also teach dance at the studio that I grew up at. When I moved back to St. Louis, I knew that I wanted to teach there if at all possible since that place, more than anything I did throughout my high school years, shaped who I am as a person today.

The other day, one of the advanced ballet students had a mishap while playing soccer and is unfortunately unable to dance for the rest of this year. Because the class had already learned most of the 20-something minute long recital piece, I volunteered to take her spot so the choreographer wouldn't have to completely re-stage the piece.

Ironically, though, this is the same piece that I performed my senior year of high school. Though I am doing a different part in the piece, the mechanics are very similar.

In some aspects, it seems like the past 10 years since I graduated from high school have been an eternity since my life has changed so much, but when I am in ballet class, all of a sudden, I am transported back to my 18 year old self. Of course, there are several noticeable differences:

1. When I leave the studio, I go home to my own house and my husband, vs. my parents house and my mother. Instead of going home and doing homework, I usually go home and have a glass of wine and do housework. In high school, I would fall asleep on the phone with my high school boyfriend, but now, I fall asleep with a motley crew of Mick, Linus, Garth and Patches in my bed. (And I wonder why there are some nights when I don't sleep very well!)

Regardless of the changes of the past years, I know I am very blessed to be able to perform this piece again, even though the mechanics of my life have changed. Of course, I wouldn't have those mechanics any other way...


Here's a picture of me when I performed this piece 10 years ago. After the recital, I'll take a new pic and compare.

Until then, love,

Mickford and Mereford

No comments:

Post a Comment